Windows Live Messenger 2008

As I was writing just a couple of days ago, Microsoft is releasing 2008 products hand in hand. After releasing Windows Live Writer 2008, it was time to release Windows Live Messenger 2008 afterwards. Windows Live Messenger is the next-generation MSN Messenger. It has everything you already love about Messenger - your contact list, emoticons, and instant access to your friends via text, voice, and video - plus new ways to connect and share photos and documents effortlessly. It’s faster than e-mail and is a great choice for conversations and the perfect alternative when you can’t be there in person. As always, it’s free to download Messenger and use most of its features.

live3

Windows Live Messenger (WLM), still commonly referred to by the previous name of MSN Messenger (MSN for short). You can download WLM from here. Use this link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=7A1AAE73-48CC-4F7A-B445-0487BD5E84EF so you can chose which language user interface you want to use.

Changes and additions in Windows Live Messenger 2008:

* In conjunction with the release of Windows Live 2.0, a new setup program was introduced. This program will download the selected product(s) during the setup. Unfortunately I haven't figured out some of Direct Download Links, because in some organizations this installer will fail to download.

live

* It is now installed to a ‘Windows Live’ folder in the drive where Windows is installed, and the shortcuts are placed in a ‘Windows Live’ folder in the Start Menu.
* All Messenger windows have a new look.

live2

* A new ‘bunny’ emoticon has been added.
* Windows Live OneCare Family Safety integration was added.
* Updates can now be downloaded and installed through Microsoft Update.

Summary
Another free product from Microsoft which many of you guys out there use. I use it very often and you can find me on my IM at mike.glaser@casema.nl

Technorati Tags: ,,

24 thoughts on “Windows Live Messenger 2008

1. Yep, I noticed as well that the installer doesn't work when I am behind a proxy server. Even a proxy server that doesn't require authentication doesn't work. This has been the case since the beta, so apparently it wasn't fixed by Microsoft.

2. Johnyacg

hi in my messenger live a dont hide de menu bar its impossible i doing anything, can you please help me with that problem, i think was a program installed but i dont know which one :S, thanks

3. Laura

I am having trouble with the windows live messenger 8.1 and although you do not talk about it on here i thought you might be able to help me. When trying to sign int he error message comes up saying that the service is currently unavailable however when i check the service status it says that it is stable and running :S. I also have the error code which is 80070005.
    i have contacted windows support with no results yet.
    please help.
    many thanks laura.

4. I have this problem with signing into windows live messenger and MSN messenger. The error code is 80070005. I did all i can to solve this problem but nothing was my answer. There is something wrong with your firewall or the service isn't working well. I don't know. They might fix the problem soon. It's not your fault.

5. Albert

I downloaded the "WLinstaller.exe" and tried to install this Windows Live Messenger 2008. But there was nothing happend beside openning up the "Windows Live Home" webpage.

No matter how many times I tried, it still the same. The "WLinstaller.exe" just doesn't want to install Windows Live Messenger 2008 for me....sad~~~

6. Corey

I have had nothing but headache trying to upgrade to Windows Live messenger 2008. It installs the new WLInstaller utility then fails on after upgrading Windows Live messenger and will not remove the old version - saying simply it could not remove it. Is anyone else encountering this issue?

I have already tried to remove it before the installation including manually removing the folders left behind for Windows Live and MSN and experience the same issue again. Have any suggestions ?

7. Steve

I have the same problem as Albert. Have removed the installer files, run a cleanup and still keep taking me to the live homepage.

8. Steve

This installer is an absolute pile of crap it continually fails to install and offers no reason for the failure, no error code etc. It simply directs you to the same useless help document.

Come on MS just provide regular downloadable installs for each application.

9. Wayne

I just installed WLM 2008 and all seems to be working fine. I first downloaded and installed my old version, but that did not work, I had to install the new version after installing the old one for some reason. Maybe some of you folks arn't keeping you computer up to date with Microsoft is the reason your having trouble. I keep my automatic updated turned on at all times.

10. Steve

Live Messenger 2008 will quite happily try to sign in, most times for hours on end (little men doing the dance thing?). Sometimes clicking Cancel, then tools > Options > Connection > Trouble shooter > repair will get it to sign in, but not always.

Used "bug report" to no avail...

11. mike

i have the same problem, the stupid thing doesnt install, have the wlinstallerl.exe and it doesnt install, all i get is the live homepage, thank you microsoft for taking a product of yours and making it less compatible and more complicated to install...

12. mark

help me someone this is driving me crazy, i have a desktop that cant sign in to messenger live keep getting error code 80072745 turned firewall off but still no joy , i have a laptop that can sign in even though i use the same modem , i have troubleshooted the problem and everything come up fine but still cant sign in ,please can someone help. marklondon66@hotmail.com

13. Ron Collins

This WLInstaller.exe is the most creepy thing i have encountered so far. If u have a previous msn version, it asks u to install a new version. When u try to download...its asks u to get some critical update. Then a miserable setup file runs and keeps checking for any WLM version..later on a sorry message appearing to slap the poor user. WTF is this Sh*t?
    Can anybody help with this?

14. Windows live installer is made of fail, no matter what, always the same error, with the installs dying at 50%, Good job microsoft, you managed to make something as badly designed as the xbox-360, you deserve an applause. 🙂

15. Medina

Ich habe diese msn runtergeladet , aber plötzlich kommt dann so ein Fenster wo drin steht " Sie können diese Ausfürung nicht installieren da sie kein Windows Live - Suite besitzen ! "
    Was ist das ?
    Ich will endlich eine Msn haben wo ich rein gehn kann o man !

16. Marlin

Since I installed the latest version I cannot access the past 2 1/2 years of my blogs on IM. It shows all my files have been dumped! If it's true, thats dirty. I never even got a notice, and I was blogging up until August of this year. What the #&&%^^~ is going on. The old worked fine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.